Become a Volunteer
Bar & Concession
Artist Merchandise Sales
Sign up as a volunteer: here
What do I wear to volunteer?
Black pants and white shirt. (You can also wear a black vest if you want.)
How long is a volunteer shift?
Your volunteer shift is typically 3 hrs.
Will I receive any training?
On your first shift, our Front-of-House Supervisor on duty will give you a short orientation. You will be paired with an experienced volunteer.
What are the duties of a volunteer?
You can review duties and other information in our Volunteer Handbook.
How do I find out about dates and times to volunteer?
After you sign up (link above), Bridget, who is our Volunteer Coordinator, will email you a list of dates once per month. After reviewing the list of dates and times, you can contact Bridget via email or phone to work a shift.
Benefits of Volunteering
According to the Public Health Agency of Canada, "The Voluntary Sector is an important contributor to the well-being of families, communities, and individuals across the country."
There are many indirect benefits for those who contribute time and energy through volunteering. It is a great way to make new friends, to develop new skills and abilities, attain valuable employment experience, and to broaden one's perspective.
Volunteers may request 2 complimentary tickets once they have volunteered for 15 events. There are only 4 tickets available per event. First come, first serve. Tickets requests must be submitted to Bridget or Sheila.
Our team of 70+ volunteers work over 2,350 hours each year to assist at our events with the running of the coat check, bar and concession, artist merchandise sales, and working as ushers. We cannot host events without volunteers!
Our Volunteer Recognition Events
Apr - National Volunteer Week (Board organizes)
Jun - BBQ
Sep - Season Launch and Emergency Evacuation Drill
Quotes from our Wonderful Volunteers
I volunteer at the Vic Juba Community Theatre for many reasons. Here are a few:
1. I love theatre, especially local theatre. This venue has given many locals a chance to participate.
2. For the theatre to be viable it must have volunteers. As long as I am able I will continue.
3. I am able to watch part of a program when I am ushering. This is often a program that I would not have attended otherwise. I feel that I have an appreciation for music and dance forms that I would not have otherwise.
4. I see and visit people I don't often see at other locations.
5. I meet many very nice people.
6. Appreciation is shown to the volunteers by the Staff, Board, and many of the patrons.
Herb & Leone Duczek
We feel this is our way of supporting the theatre.
We like that we can choose the date and times when we can help.
We have met and worked with so many good people.
We like that while working we get to enjoy the talents of those from afar and our local talents.
Why our volunteers choose to volunteer? Here is what they said:
- To make a difference
- Meet new people
- Avoid boredom
- I love the people; since day one, the staff and theatre goers have been wonderful
- Wonderful to see people enjoying themselves
- Enjoy my evenings at the theatre
- Have lots of fun here; enjoy the volunteers and enjoy the opportunity to see the performances
- Rewarding to give back to the community
- Helps to fill my empty evenings
- Definitely helps to shorten the winters
- The staff is great to work with; feel it’s a very rewarding experience
- Love the exposure to the arts and touching base with the community
- A great way to meet and visit with friends
- Love the happy feeling I have leaving after helping at the theatre; everyone is so appreciative of what I do
- Everyone arrives with a greeting and a smile
- We are treated with respect and appreciation by staff members. (Thank you for making my time spent at the theatre a happy, rewarding one!)
- The theatre keeps the arts alive in the community; glad to be a part of it
- Love hearing comments after events and seeing the smiles on people’s faces
- An easy simple way to help within my community
- Staff and volunteers are fabulous! Love all the appreciation and celebrations given/shown to volunteers
- Volunteering helps to keep the theatre alive and active within our community
- A great opportunity to meet new people and see the amazing artists perform
- Thanks for the wonderful evenings you host for us – the food, activities and laughter are very much appreciated
- Simply enjoy volunteering
Bridget in the Box Office is our Volunteer Coordinator. Give her a call at 780.872.7400 if you have any questions about volunteering at Vic Juba Community Theatre.